Inspecting the church of St. Panteleymon in 1909, J. Pelensky found numerous inscriptions of the XIII-XVII-th centuries on its facades one of the most interesting belongs to the XIII-th century and specifies the time of construction of sight. This inscription is contained on the south facade of the church, near the third wall pier on the height of 1,50 ì. above earth. The text of the inscription consists of 8 lines, scratched out on a stone plate with the help of the sharp object. Deciphering it, a researcher came to a conclusion, that the founder of the temple was Halych-Volyn’ possessor Roman Mstyslavovych, who named it Panteleymon in honour of his grandfather - Kievan prince Izyaslav, whose christian name was Panteleymon, built this church.
The temple of St. Panteleymon is a monumental crist domes church with the standards of the refined white-rock screw-thread and numerous drowings and grafities on the walls, which are the witnesses of glorious and tragic pages of 800-years-ancient history of our edge. Building of the temple was completed in 1194 It was situated in the center of the well fixed place, possibly, monastery.
After the conquering of Halychyna by Poland this church of St. Panteleymon was renamed into the costel for the cathedral church of the Latin catholic archbishop. Then it has got the name of the church of the costel of Stanislav. The sight saved this name up to 1912. The Latin parish was carried to Halych in 1427, and the church was converted into the summer residence of the Latin bishops. The first writing mention about the temple of St. Panteleymon is dated to 1367 True, lustration of Halych reminisces about church in 1532, 1552, 1557. In it, in particular, there is a questio, that the temple of the XV-th century “there is single on the fields from square stone is built”. The reason of such desolation was, that in the first half of the XV-th century the center of archbishop was carried from Halych to L’viv. However twice on a year – on the 8-th of May (day of St. Stanislav), on the 8-th and on the 9-th of August (day of St. Panteleymon), - are divine services.
Since1598 a new page in the history of sight begins. Pursuant to the rescript of king Zigmund III from 05.05.1595 the church of St. Stanislav was passed to the monastery of Frantsyskans’ in Halych with permission to restore and build a monastery on the basis of it.
The renewal of the temple and the building of the monastery began in 1598. The church was already rebuilt together with a monastery in 1611. The church partly changed the appearance and was transformed in Basylic in the style of baroque. On the axis of the main entrance to the temple a bell tower was built. A new monasterial complex was surrounded with the billows of regular square shape, as a result it became an unapproachable fortress.
Being in the hands of Frantsyskans’, the former church of Panteleymon tested by different destructions, during the attack on Halych of Turks in 1676 it was partly pronged by Ibragim Shaitan-Pasha. Large harm was done by the fire in 1802, when the church, monastery and a lot of valuable documents burned out during the fire. However the most inflicted destruction of the sight was made by the First world war. During the gun fire battle in 1915 a western portal was almost fully destroyed, except of two caps of the left columns, the western facade, roof, interior, are blasted and the top of the bell tower was ruined as well.
After restoration which was finished in 1926, its previous kind of view was almost returned the church, except of it’s signatures. Unrestored is a main portal. During the restoration in the interior of the temple from walls they took off a plaster and removed an ashler. Actually then on the understratum of the tynk were found out tracks of the mural painting (possibly the XVII-th century ), and on the stone slab graffities therewere found. After restoration in 1926 a temple saved the original appearance up to a visit to Halych (on April, 14 in 1991) the cardinal of UGKC Ivan-Miroslav Lyubachivsky, whose arrival gave a mighty shove of the Ancient Rus sacred temple.
Right after the restoration in 1998-th the church was renamed and resacred as the Greec-Catholic temple. It purchased close to the kind of it’s origin, and has all elements, inherent by Halychyna architectural school of princely days. Today it is the four columns Christ domed temple, in which on sub resilient arches which lean against posts, a round bath-house rises with a dome roof completion. The most valuable and the richest in it’s form and decoration there is a western portal. It considerably comes forward of facade wall and reminds prospective portals and the outside forms of Roman architecture of Western Europe. The portal is decorated by two pair of columns with caps.
The rust of the column consists of three bunches and knot in the middle. On the edges of plinths, that under bases is cut out in the forms of «frogs». These columns are the unique authentic in this portal, that were not blasted by the artillery bombardment in 1915. The columns support a frisian with the fretted decorative pattern like a palm-brunch. The portal is completed with four ledges. Ledges which have columns, and cylinders closed, that are covered with the ornamental screw-thread.
The south portal is more restrained in relation to sculptural decoration, but it’s architectural decision look like western. The form of ledges is made accordingly to the form of archaeovolt. This portal was very damaged in 1915 As far as apses is concern, they are decorated by the half cylinder columns, which carry the arched belt leans on. The caps of the central apse are fretted have various drawings and structures. These caps and arched Frisian are authentic.
On the main portal of the church there is a square double-decker tower-bell with a tent roof. The bell tower was built simultaneously with the alteration church by the Frantsyskans at the beginning of the XVII-th century. Then it was contained in the middle of the western line of billows of defensives, which surrounded a former monastery. A lower tier served as entrance gates, overhead was a defensive tower and the bell tower. Through a ditch, which was located in front of billows, led to the gates conducted the bridge of pander. The bell- tower stands on foundations, that are made of the Castles which remained, presumably, since the time of the alteration of the church to the Basylic. The walls of the tower are made of stone bricks. Under the foundation of the monasterial house wooden Castles were also used, walls are made of the same bricks that the bell tower and the overhead part of the church.